Saturday, August 8, 2009

Summer Concerts 1: Tracy Chapman

I have to admit that i tend to forget about Tracy Chapman. Every couple of years I receive a new cd from her, listen a couple times, fall in love with her songwriting, give it a few spins on radio and then just forget. I do, however, remember how amazing she was to see perform live and snatched a ticket for her current tour.

Tracy is a powerful performer. She has a quiet strength. She is soft spoken but sings with a big voice produced effortlessly. It is truely as if the music is just passing through her. It isn't something that can be understood in a youtube clip but experienced in person. She brings a calming energy to her performances that is palpable to those in the audience. Her band was great, highlighted on a James Brown style rendition of "Give me One Reason", but she she showed her versatility performing a couple songs solo, including one on a strum stick, whipped out her bongos and even sat down to jam on a cajun box drum.

Seeing her at the Calvin Theater (august 1st) reminded me of all the songs I had forgotten: "Fast Car" "Talkin bout a Revolution" "Baby Can I Hold You" "Smoke & Ashes" "Crossroads". I had so loved her 2005 cd Where You Live and its commentary on American politics, but had forgotten the politics of her earlier music. As a songwriter she is equal parts lover and fighter.

Even as I'm writing this I'm reminding myself of other beautifully written songs by Ms. Chapman: "Never Yours" "New Beginning" "Change". This time I hope I don't forget.

For her complete list of tour dates this summer visit www.tracychapman.com. And even though its not the same, here are some clips.

The Lover



The Fighter



And I almost forgot to mention the thrill I had seeing newcomer Gaby Moreno open the show! Originally from Guatemala, she now resides in LA, has won songwriting awards and received praise from KCRW. She blew me away.

No comments:

Post a Comment